Myanmar earthquake toll crosses 3,000
Digest more
Top News
Overview
Impacts
On Friday, a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck a fault in Myanmar, killing more than 2,000 people and shaking buildings as far as Bangkok, in neighboring Thailand.
From Forbes
More than 3,000 people have now died from the 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck Burma last week, which destroyed thousands of buildings and sent the war-torn country into a deeper humanitarian cris...
From Fox News
The military junta that seized power of Myanmar in 2021 has maintained strict control over its borders since the disaster, refusing to let foreign journalists in and keeping up operations against reb...
From CBS News
Read more on News Digest
5don MSN
A major earthquake in Myanmar on Friday has caused more than 1,000 deaths and led to the collapse of numerous structures. Even though Myanmar is a high risk region for earthquakes, damage to buildings has been widespread.
A powerful earthquake of magnitude 7.7 centred in the Sagaing region near the Myanmar city of Mandalay caused extensive damage in that country and also shook neighbouring Thailand on Friday.
The death toll from Myanmar's earthquake exceeds 3,000 as survivors face disease and unseasonal rains amid ongoing civil conflict.- Watch Video on English Oneindia
The death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago has increased to 3,085 as more bodies were found by search and rescue teams, the military-led government said. In a short statement, the military said another 4,715 people have been injured and 341 are missing.
A phenomenon called liquefaction, which causes the ground to slump like quicksand, led to significant damage after the Myanmar earthquake. The risk of aftershock remains high.
A 7.7 magnitude earthquake and an aftershock measuring 6.4 rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand on Friday, bringing down buildings and disrupting power supplies and transport services.
The earthquake’s epicenter was near the country’s second-largest city Mandalay, and so far the military-run government has reported 2,065 people killed, more than 3,900 injured, and 270 missing.
The head of Myanmar’s military government, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, told a forum in Naypyitaw, that 2,719 people have been found dead, with 4,521 others injured and 441 missing, Myanmar’s Western News online portal reported.